BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Greece: Day 4

Day 4
Great news, I've finally found some free, reliable Internet close to our hotel. Apparently Athens has a new service for the area right next to our hotel in Syntagma Square where they offer free Internet for the first 18 months. The only problem is the area is swarming with pigeons and people keep dropping food for them. There are literally 20 pigeons around my feet, occasionally nipping at them.

A relatively quiet morning for us Americans, which sounds a bit strange, but a few kids went over to the travel agency to see how much it would cost to take a trip to Rome, Amsterdam or Santorini. It looks like a lot of kids are going to go to Santorini for  165 for 4 days and three nights. The kids going to Rome got a trip for the same amount of time for  380. It’s a bit expensive for me so I’m going to stay in Athens and get some peace and quiet next weekend.
In the afternoon I decided that I wanted to do some exploring around the southern neighborhoods of Athens. My intention was to go over to the National Gardens, which is near the Parliament building, and then head over to the Zappeion, which is another enormous public building. All of the roads surrounding the Zappeion are closed to traffic so people have a chance to walk around without having to fear for their lives. After the Zappeion I looked at the map and realized I still had a few hours left to explore so I made my way over to the Panathenian Arena. The arena is this huge U-shaped construction with a full sized track in the middle. Right next to the stadium is a hill with views overlooking Athens and back toward the Parthenon. A quick hop over a fence and a scramble up the steep paths and I was at the top with breathtaking views of the city.  
Back to the hotel for dinner and then another night out exploring the Athens nightlife. Tomorrow will be another early day as we head up the hill to the Acropolis and the Parthenon. Pictures aplenty I'm sure. 
Kalinikta everyone!


0 comments: