BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Greece: Day 2

Day 2

No one ever reminds you about getting jet-lagged. It’s one of the most difficult things to deal with when traveling. I decided it was best to stay awake until I really couldn’t keep my eyes open, and then I might have a good chance at sleeping through the night. I went to bed at 7 and then woke up at 6 this morning. Even though it was still dark outside I quietly left the room to tour Athens as it slowly woke up. Grabbing my camera and then a “micros flidzani kafe” from a small shop I set out to look around before the streets got busy with speeding cars and careless motorcycles. I meandered through the dark streets exploring some of side streets and took about an hour walk trying to get myself oriented with the city and made a loop back to the hotel.

Unfortunately the trip can’t be all fun and games, we do have to learn something while we’re here. Our history class with Dr. D is the “History of Modern Greece” meaning the history of Greece starting from when it officially became a nation. Class took place in a modern building that houses the German university in Athens, and goes from 9 until 12:30 Monday through Thursday.

In the afternoon Dr. D took a small group of us on a more detailed tour of the surrounding area. I had mentioned that I was wanted to take a walk around the Acropolis and he was excited to show us the way. We walked through the Plaka which is the tourist trap neighborhood, then around the Acropolis on the Periphery path, into the Monastiraki which is another shopping area where we got lunch at a small taverna, and then back to the hotel. We got back to the room and then relaxed for a bit before heading out to dinner at our restaurant, Diros.

The school pays for dinner (well, we already gave them the money so I guess we’re just forced into eating there) and we’re treated to some expensive, mediocre food. I got the baby lamb with veggies, a side of eggplant mush and carrot mush, a Greek salad, and some chicken broth soup with rice. Three of us split a Greek bottle of wine, and then we topped it all off with a caramel cream flan dish. After dinner we all headed out to a small restaurant close to our hotel for drinks. Since we all had to be up early the next morning the smarter people in the group stuck to a couple beers while others were more adventurous and tried ouzo. Let’s just say a few people didn’t make it to the bus the next morning. What a great start to the trip!

I’ve been having a tough time getting Internet in our room for free so I’ve been searching for some place to get free wifi. The large electronics store across the street from our hotel offers free wifi for about a half and hour before they shut you off. As soon as I find a reliable place for free Internet I’ll post some more pictures.

Off to bed, we have an early morning tomorrow as we venture towards Delphi. Kalinikta everyone!

0 comments: